Wednesday, July 05, 2006

We'd never get anything done that way, baby

Two thoughts on music related subjects:

1) I'm perplexed as to why Susanna Hoffs doesn't get more credit. She fronted one of the most popular all female bands whose name started with a "B", and yet no one really talks about her anymore. She is/was gorgeous and while not technically the greatest singer ever to walk this earth, she put her back into it. But really, you can actually freeze the moment that makes Hoffs so fantastic. Rent "The Allnighter". With about 15 minutes left she goes to finally seduce the guy she's wanted throughout college. Her dress falls off her shoulder and she flashes this look that is seriously the sexiest thing I have ever...EVER...seen. It's unreal. I have no doubt that look was employed on her rise to the top. My only question is how many times?

2) I realized my life would be completely different had "Something to Write Home About" not come out. It hasn't withstood all the advances in the genre as well as one might have hoped, but I can say without question that it changed my life. How many albums are worthy of that claim? Two? Three? There have been some damn good ones, but life changing? It's a rare honor. Would I have the same friends? I might not be dating Polaris if not for that album. It can be traced back that far. Weird. Wolverine says Sensefield would have filled the void, but I'm skeptical. That Wolverine and his crazy ideas about music AND the Canadian government.

H-Bomb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home